I am so excited for today’s post because I adore engagement sessions. They’re vital for becoming more comfortable in front of the camera with your groom prior to your wedding day, and it’s always a great idea to get to know your photographer and his or her style and personality prior to your fete. They also represent a sweet way to capture this season in your relationship.
When Lindsey from George Street Photo & Video contacted me about contributing a guest post, I jumped at the opportunity to bring you a photography team’s perspective on one of the hardest pieces to prepare: what to wear for your e-session. Without further ado, here are five tips from a pro:
Like prepping for that first date with your fiance, an engagement session can often be a nerve-racking experience! After trying on everything in your closet you still feel as though you have absolutely nothing to wear, right? Well, that’s not how it has to be. Your closet is filled with your personality, which is exactly what you want to express in your e-session — after all, it is about you and your fiance. Before you go investing in a whole new wardrobe, there are a few rules of thumb you should try first!
- Coordinate Colors: Steer clear of matching ensembles and coordinate your look with complimentary colors. Try selecting a variety of different pieces that fall within the same color palette. If you’re having trouble choosing a hue, start off by picking a neutral tone and a few coordinating shades you both like, such as brown and navy blue with a pop of pink.
- Be Seasonally Appropriate: Depending on which time of year you schedule your engagement session, it’s important to echo the seasonal elements of your surroundings. For instance, if you’re planning an autumn engagement session, it may be a good idea to sport warmer tones like tan, yellow or orange, which will accommodate the scenery.
- Layer Up: Layers often photograph better than simplified ensembles because they add color, texture and depth to your look. Consider spicing up your solid-colored pieces with a patterned scarf, a blazer or a cardigan. An added bonus? You’ll be able to sport a few different looks throughout your session simply by adding or discarding a piece from your outfit.
- Be Bold: When coordinated correctly, a bold color, print or pattern can be the perfect accent to your engagement look. To balance out the print and stay polished, keep your look simple with a patterned blouse or statement necklace, while asking your fiancé to wear a solid color.
- Make it Personal: Above all, your engagement session is a chance for people to see who you truly are as a couple. A great way to add a unique, intimate touch to your session is to incorporate personalized “props.” Whether it’s donning the jerseys of your favorite sports teams or bringing along your furry friends, these small additions are a way for your loved ones to get a sense of your relationship and what ties the two of you together.
Photos courtesy of George Street Photo & Video
Thank you so much to Lindsey! This group is headquartered in Chicago, but they work with photographers, videographers, and brides throughout the country. Whether you’re planning your wedding in the Windy City or elsewhere, make sure to visit George Street Photo & Video to learn more about their packages. You can also contact the team right here!