While I was growing up, my mom, my Aunt Chris, my Poppy, and I would spend a day out on the water at the Jersey Shore crabbing every summer. We would wake up before the sun, meet my Poppy at his house, and then make the trip to pick up my aunt. We would eat lunch at 10 a.m., my Poppy would sing his “seafood chantey” while we sailed around in our dinghy boat, and we would throw any of the crabs that we pulled up on our lines into an old wooden bushel to enjoy later that night with my Nana. It truly never mattered how many crabs we caught. It was much more about the fun that we had. And we had a ton.
Each and every crabbing trip was never complete unless at least all four of us were in attendance (my Uncle Jack later decided he needed to be in on our madness, and he was a welcome addition). One year, my mom and my Poppy said that my Aunt Chris couldn’t come. I was devastated. On the morning of our annual excursion, my mom and Poppy had a surprise planned, and we pulled up to my Aunt Chris’s house where she promptly jumped into the car. I could have cried. It was the best surprise ever. Aside from having the ability to make me laugh until I cry, my Aunt Chris was especially important on these trips because her nickname was (and still is) “Anchor Girl”. You can guess what her job was.
As a result of my annual crabbing trips, I love nautical details, especially anchors. Because I have been seeing them everywhere, I thought it was only appropriate to round up my current anchor favorites:
1. I just discovered the store Joe Fresh in NYC last weekend, and for $10 I had to have this anchor tee.
3. I almost purchased these J. Crew coasters this weekend. How cute would they be to use during summer get togethers or at a beach house?
4. I fully plan to have a gallery wall of favorite photos, things, and sayings above my sofa/desk/bed in the future. This anchor print from Baby Bird and Bub Bub would be a welcome addition!
5. May Books are one of my favorite recent discoveries, and I would love to stow this monogramed anchor journal in my purse and carry it with me all of the time.
6. Gold is one of my new favorite colors, and I love these navy and gold anchor earrings from Swell Caroline!
7. I already own two Emily Ley iPhone cases, and this monogrammed Oatmeal Lace anchor clutch might just be my next purchase from her shop.
8. Adding a scarf to an outfit is my favorite way to accessorize, and I would happily wear this chevron and anchor infinity scarf from SYG Boutique.
9. This gold anchor necklace from J. Crew may be from the girls’ department, but that definitely wouldn’t stop me from purchasing it! I look like I’m 16 anyway. : )
What are your favorite memories from when you were growing up? I’d love to hear!