Hi, friends! I hope you had the very best start to 2016. I missed watching fireworks on my beloved Kiawah beach as 2015 ended and 2016 began, but watching cannons shoot confetti into the air while working a wedding surely takes a solid FUN second place.
This year already feels like it’s going to be better than last (I reread a Facebook post from early last year when I fell off of my bike on vacation. Evidently that was, in fact, an omen for the year!), and I’m so happy to revert to my old ways again. By “old ways”, I mean focusing on business AND personal goals not just one or the other.
Last year I chose two words of the year, and this year I’m just choosing one. I really like it. It’s NO.
I have an intense habit of saying yes to EVERYTHING. I love helping other people, and I never want to let anyone down though I’m very certain I do in the process. I also love experiencing anything and everything. However, in saying yes to just about everything last year, I ended up being so overwhelmed multiple times. That kind of overwhelmed only caused me to feel burnt out and searching for white space in order to regain a sense of balance. But, this year is going to be different.
Lara Casey always says there is nothing special about January 1, but I do feel the very first day of the year offers a fresh start. For that reason, it’s one of my very favorites! This year, I’m planning to seriously run again, travel as much as possible, and have monthly goals. My overarching goal for this year is to keep my work-life balance in check by saying no in order to be much more intentional when I do say yes. Here’s to making things happen in 2016!
Without further ado, my January goals (some are fun, and some are just plain boring – you’ve been warned :)…
- Go Skiing: This is very dependent on my favorite ski resort opening its slopes for the season. As long as that happens, I’ll be there!
- Buy an Office Chair: I spend so much time at my computer, and I’ve officially realized that I loathe my office chair. So, I’m moving on to something I think will work well! I’m thinking about purchasing this one. The girls at Southern Weddings seem to love it, and I will most definitely be monogramming mine too.
- Sign Up for a 10K: I’ve never run a 10K before, but I think it’s a solid goal to have for this year. I’ve started my research, and there are a few contenders. I would actually love to run this race, but it’s my Poppy’s 95th birthday. I’ll celebrate with him instead because he’s cute and sweet.
- Rejoin LA Fitness: I’m not a New Year’s Resolution-er when it comes to joining a gym, but I’m finally accepting the fact that I just cannot run outside. It’s too cold, and I’m not a fan of running in the dark. So, joining a gym again it is!
- Schedule a Hair Cut: This is the most unexciting goal around, but I avoid cutting my hair. I love my stylist, but cutting an inch or two means cutting 4-6 inches off every time. Curly hair always ends up shorter because of the curls, and I love being able to braid my hair and put it into a bun easily. The struggle is very, very real, but this needs to happen.
- Book a February Trip: Traveling is my very favorite thing to do, and I want to go on at least 12 trips in 12 months. Some of them will be longer than others, but weekend trips are very doable just to escape to a different place for a few days. I have ideas about where I would like to go next month, so I just need to make my final decision!
- Travel to Florida: This is a work trip for Every Last Detail, but I’m counting down the days until I’m on the plane. Hello, wedding professionals and warmer weather!
- Read “Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban”: I never finished reading the Harry Potter series, and I started again with book one a few weeks ago. It’s so fun to revisit books that I read years ago, and I’m looking forward to completing the series. I’m also just so happy to be reading again. The slow season for weddings brings me a lot of joy and relaxation!!
What are your goals for January? I’d love to take a peek if you have a blog or just write down a few in the comments!