I’m thrilled to bring back Inspired By today with none other than Jessica Clinch from Simply Jessica Marie. Jessica has a thriving creative business that she started last year after attending Making Things Happen. She began by offering mini canvases and letterpress prints, but it wasn’t until she started offering custom watercolor paintings, cards, and logos that her business truly began to thrive. In addition to SJM, she also is the Lead Planner of Pretty for Amber Housley’s wedding planning division in Nashville. Let’s just say, she’s busy…and has the best title ever!
I adored reading Jessica’s Q&A, which you’ll be able to read below, because I loved hearing how she turned her lifelong passion for painting into a business; when she knows it’s time to step away from her work for a moment; and what she plans to launch next (plus much more)! Jessica is truly one of the kindest creatives I know, and I hope you love getting to know her today on Carly is Inspired:
Photo by Reaux Photo
2. What are your favorite ways to stay inspired? Who inspires you? The beauty about inspiration is that it can come from anyone or anything! I can become inspired by reading a book, walking outside, seeing a pattern on a dress, or simply doodling while daydreaming. There are also a multitude of people who inspire me. Other artists and designers like Evelyn Henson, Victoria Austin Designs and Kylie Swanson who are true to their core and create unique products and designs inspire me to continue to be unique each and every day.
3. If you’re having a bad moment, how do you turn your day around? Honestly, bad moments often spur from working too frequently. I love my work, and I love every project I work on, but I need to know the limits of my mind and body and when to stop! So, once I come close to the point where I begin to feel frustrated or defeated, I usually step away from my computer or painting, and either call my mom or my boyfriend and simply talk to them. They both know how to bring my focus back to what is important, and keep me level headed, and I am eternally grateful for that!
Custom Bride & Bridesmaid Wedding Illustration
4. How did you know you had made the right decision to follow your current path? Have you had a favorite moment? I knew I made the right decision when I started offering custom paintings and illustrations, and had a variety of people asking me if I would paint pictures of them and their loved ones for important moments in their lives! Having other people show interest in my work is such an indescribably beautiful feeling. Every time that a client tells me that I exceeded their expectations for their custom piece is my absolute favorite moment!
5. What’s next for you? What are you most excited about right now? Oh my goodness, so many fun new products! I have a birthday card collection that will be in my shop next week coinciding with the first birthday of my shop, a Fall greeting card collection coming in September, and some products that I wish I could spill the beans about, but need to keep secret for now!
Best Friends in Top Knots Art Print
1. Song: Ooh, The Dog Days Are Over by Florence & The Machines is a song that always gets me pumped up and wanting to dance around the room!
2. Outfit: My tulle skirt, glittery J.Crew top, gold heels, a bright pink lip and fun cocktail accessories!
3. Quote: “The most wasted of all days is one without laughter”
4. Day of the year: Is it corny to say Christmas? I still love all of the joy that is felt and shared on Christmas, and especially love that I get to be surrounded by family and friends!
5. Ideal way to spend your day: I would wake up early, make a cup of coffee, and begin painting. I would continue painting throughout the entire day, and get lost in my work!
Thank you for offering such thoughtful answers, Jessica! Make sure to keep up with Jessica through her blog, shop, and Instagram! She’s definitely one to follow, and she’s a great source to turn to for custom pieces and cards.
Stay tied to Carly is Inspired…
What a beautiful girl!