The passage of time is always something that amazes me whether it’s something positive, like a vacation or birthday, or a tragic event, like September 11. The day may seem long in the moment, but time never stops (even when we wish it would…even just for a minute or two).
September 11 was horrific. I was in 7th grade, and I learned about all of the events one-by-one while in math class. It was all anyone could talk about that day and for many days and weeks after. As tragic as that day was and will forever be, in some ways it’s September 12 that now stands out even more.
Morning came and time marched on as it always will. But for those who tragically passed away, time stopped.
Each victim has missed family birthdays and watching their children grow up. They’ve missed graduations, celebrations in honor of new jobs, and weddings. They’ve missed the little things and the big things that sometimes the rest of us take for granted.
So, just as Joy from Oh Joy! did yesterday, I thought I would share five things that I’m grateful for today:
1. Thanking a Navy serviceman at last night’s 9/11 memorial ceremony in honor of my Grandpa who also served. Thanking servicemen and women is something that always makes me think of my Grandpa, and yesterday would have been his birthday.
2. My trip to Kiawah, seeing my Charleston friends while I was in town, and spending a ton of time on the beach with my family. The beach is my happy place.
3. Serving couples and their families at three weddings this month.
4. The most supportive circle of friends. The ones who make texting fun because they just get you, and the ones who support your every idea over longwinded conversations on the phone.
5. Resilience – both my own and America’s will to never give up. The passion that other’s have is inspiring and makes me realize that I shouldn’t give up on my goals either.
The days may be long, but the years are short. Remember to stop and be grateful as you walk along your path.
Stay tied to Carly is Inspired…